Jim Tom Haynes
Jim Tom Haynes is experienced in a variety of areas of immigration law, including employment visas, litigation, and appellate practice. He has represented large multinational corporations, universities, embassy personnel, and employees of international institutions such as the World Bank/IMF and the Inter-American Development Bank.
Mr. Haynes advises corporate clients on all matters related to visas and residence for officers, personnel, and their families. He guides investors in the establishment of appropriate businesses, and in the restructuring of acquisitions in the U.S. and abroad to conform to the requirements of American immigration law. He is an expert in immigration removal matters. He handles complex nationality matters, including regaining US citizenship after renunciation.
Mr. Haynes is a former Fulbright Scholar, RFK Fellow, and served for ten years on the Board of Governors of AILA, the American Immigration Lawyers Association. He formerly served as Appellate Counsel to INS.
Mr. Haynes is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and Federal Bar Association.
- District of Columbia 1981
- New York 1970
- Texas 1968
- D.C. District Court 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit 1992
- University of Texas LL.B., Concentration in International Law
- University of Texas B.A., Major in Latin American Studies
- Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil School of Law; doctoral program in private international law
- National University of Mexico Law School, Mexico City
- University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
- Who’s Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers
- Fulbright Scholar to Brazil
- Robert F. Kennedy Fellow
- Legal Advisor – Washington, D.C. office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Chief Appellate Counsel – Central Office of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) in Washington, D.C. As INS appellate counsel, he represented the Immigration and Naturalization Service at the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA)
- Attorney – Fragomen, Del Rey & Bernsen, the largest specialized immigration law firm in the United States
- Three terms as a Member of the Board of Directors of the American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Section Leader of the D.C. Bar Association, International Law Section
- Co-Chair – The Immigration Law Committee of the International Law Section of the American Bar Association