Jim Tom Haynes
Jim Tom Haynes is the most recommended English, Spanish, and Portuguese speaking attorney in Washington, DC. Experienced in a variety of areas, including corporate representation, removal defense litigation, and appellate practice, Jim Tom has represented everyone from large multinational corporations to immigrant families facing deportation.
Handling cases across the spectrum, Mr. Haynes guides clients through the immigration system, specializing in immigration consequences of criminal arrests and convictions, consular processing issues, complex naturalization cases including vacating a Certificate of Loss of Nationality, in addition to more typical family-based, asylum, and removal cases.
With decades of experience exclusively practicing immigration law, he has unsurpassed experience.
Mr. Haynes is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and Federal Bar Association.
- District of Columbia 1981
- New York 1970
- Texas 1968
- D.C. District Court 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit 1992
- 1968 University of Texas LL.B., Concentration in International Law
- 1965 University of Texas B.A., Major in Latin American Studies
- 1968-1969 – Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil School of Law; doctoral program in private international law
- 1966 – National University of Mexico Law School, Mexico City
- 1964 – University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
- Who’s Who of Corporate Immigration Lawyers (2002-2017)
- Fulbright Scholar to Brazil
- Robert F. Kennedy Fellow
- Legal Advisor – Washington, D.C. office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Chief Appellate Counsel – Central Office of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) in Washington, D.C. As INS appellate counsel, he represented the Immigration and Naturalization Service at the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA)
- Attorney – Fragomen, Del Rey & Bernsen, the largest specialized immigration law firm in the United States
- Three terms as a Member of the Board of Directors of the American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Section Leader of the D.C. Bar Association, International Law Section
- Co-Chair – The Immigration Law Committee of the International Law Section of the American Bar Association