David J. Rothwell (Retired)
David J. Rothwell’s practice is devoted exclusively to Immigration Law. He has over 35 years of experience in immigration matters, and has built a substantial immigration law practice including immigrant and non-immigrant visa applications, representation of U.S. and overseas businesses wishing to bring workers to the U.S., family visa applications, deportation defense, political asylum, naturalization and other immigration matters.
David was the lead attorney in Perez v. Vargas, a case in which the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals interpreted a section of the Immigration & Nationality Act to successfully support certain applicants for immigration who must change employers during the process. He has gained relief for persons who have suffered political persecution due to their political or religious beliefs including persons who have suffered female genital mutilation before arriving in the United States and have the same fear for their daughters. Among the hundreds of cases he has handled over the years are many that include families that are facing separation of a family member from the family unit.
David has appeared on behalf of clients in Immigration Court and at agency hearings in over a dozen cities in the United States as well as consulates outside the U.S. He has been the invited speaker on the topic of immigration law at employment law and other legal seminars and classes. In addition to his practice David provides assistance to young non-citizens in need of legal advice through his position on the Board of Directors of The Dream Project.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for Maryland
- Juris Doctor, Antioch School of Law
- M.A. in Education, Georgia State University
- B.A. in Government, Cornell University
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- Author, Immigration Handbook for Paralegals (MICPEL), 1987
- Founding Partner – Rothwell Immigration Group, Washington, D.C.